The Designer will support the creative process from ideation to the development and technical process of fabrication drawings. This person should have the ability to understand the “big picture,” while being detailed enough to determine space planning, composition, colors, finishes, textures and standard build practices for real-world fabrication. Our clientele come in many forms, but can expect to direct projects in all of the following:
• Create 2D and 3D space development visualizations for internal and client presentations.
• Develop and execute technical design deliverables for fabrication and installation.
• Demonstrate technical thinking and design skills that are clear, accurate, and safe to clients, vendors, fabricators, and stakeholders.
• Collaborate with other designers during the design process in production of drawings.
• Support Director of Design in ensuring drawings clearly communicate design concepts.
• Specify finish materials, colors, and textures – this includes sourcing/organizing/maintaining sample libraries, negotiating prices, purchase requests, and order tracking.
• Adhere to best practices for the design process.
• Actively participate in team brainstorming, fabrication, kick off, and load in meetings.
• Hands-on work in scenic shop, graphic application, painting, and other scenic fabrication as needed and qualified.
• Advise, produce, and/or provide feedback regarding budgets, respective expenditures, and project scope of work.
• Assist in conducting site surveys through photo documentation, dimensions, and onsite 3D modeling.
• Lead design direction during installation onsite as needed.
What We’re Looking For:
• 5+ years of professional experience within the technical theatre, event production, live events, interior design, agency, or scenic fabrication industry.
• Proficiency in Vectorworks, InDesign, Illustrator, CAD, and Photoshop. (Knowledge of 3DMax, Rhino & other 3D Modeling software a plus.)
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Teams, Excel, Outlook, Word, SharePoint, One Drive).
• General understanding of furniture construction, finish materials and color theory.
• General knowledge of A/V and lighting equipment is a plus.
• Solid verbal communicator with strong writing skills, keen ability to interact with clients, crew, vendors and venues on all levels.
• Conducts business with high level of integrity.
• Ability to multitask, meet deadlines efficiently, work logically and methodically, and communicate any personal obstacles to productivity with your supervisor.
• Works calmly under pressure.
• Organized complex problem-solver and multitasker, with great attention to detail.
• Properly track timesheets for billable projects.
• Valid driver’s license & passport.
• Ability and willingness to travel when needed.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus.